“The oak fought the wind and was broken, the willow bent when it must and survived.” – Robert Jordan
In a world where challenges are as certain as the sunrise, nurturing resilience in the next generation is not just a responsibility, but an essential Life skill. Resilience, often likened to the flexibility of a willow tree, enables individuals to bend with adversity, yet stand strong. How can we ensure our children learn & master this invaluable skill?
Taking inspiration from the recent “Beyond Courage: Building a Resilient Future Generation” webinar organized by Auracious Global on 26th August ’23, the collaborative efforts of Auracious Global and esteemed panelists valuable insights outlined crucial strategies for cultivating a stronger, more adaptable generation. Among the array of strategies discussed, we’ve chosen a few that radiate as particularly powerful RESILIENCE-BOOSTERS. We wholeheartedly recommend parents, caregivers, and educators to embrace these strategies as guiding stars, leading the way for our younger generation’s journey towards resilience and growth.
- Connection, Containment & Skill Building:
In the journey of conscious parenting, let’s remember the three essential pillars: Connection, Containment, and Skill Building, inspired by Dr. Shefali Tsabary- Conscious Parenting Coach.
- Connection: Just like planting seeds in a garden, spending quality time together allows bonds to flourish. A nightly bedtime routine where you discuss the day’s highs and lows or read together, not only deepens your relationship but also encourages open communication between you and children. Set aside moments like sharing a meal to connect deeply over daily conversations.
- Containment: Picture a river with its banks – a river thrives when it knows its limits. Similarly, setting limits on screen time and making them in charge of their daily routines helps your children learn self-control and develop a sense of responsibility.
- Skill Building: Think of a young bird learning to fly. It may stumble, but it keeps trying until it soars. Similarly, when your child faces a challenge, encourage them to see it as an opportunity to learn and become better with practice, fostering resilience and growth.
By nurturing these elements, we empower our children with the tools they need to navigate life’s challenges with strength and grace.
2. Teaching Accountability and Creating Value
A real Game-Changer: Teaching accountability and embracing the POWER OF VALUE is like handing them the keys to their journey. They’re in control, owning up to their actions, and realizing they’re not just going through the motions – they’re steering their ship. Think of it as building a puzzle – each piece, each choice, matters. Their decisions aren’t just drops in the ocean; they’re the ripples that create waves. With this mindset, they’re not afraid to face challenges. They learn to become problem-solvers, not problem-dwellers. They see bumps in the road as opportunities to learn and grow.
3. Emphasizing Physical Fitness and Wellness
It’s more than just exercises; it’s about prepping your children and adolescents for a confident present and future. Every workout, balanced bite, and mindfulness moment is a step towards being strong in the body and mind. Make fitness a game, explore new foods together, and try mindful moments like deep breathing. Imagine them as tomorrow’s heroes – taking on challenges and bouncing back even stronger. Fitness and wellness aren’t just about today; they’re about a robust future. So, here’s to building them up and giving them the tools to thrive amidst any challenges.
4. Chasing Dreams and Embracing Grit
Ever thought of sparking up those little dreams and embracing grit? We’re talking about fueling your Childrens’ Resilience engines by lighting the fire of passion. Encourage your children irrespective of their age to dive into their dreams, set goals that truly matter, and embrace passions like secret treasures. This isn’t just about motivation; it’s about having a road map to follow. Chat about their dreams over dinner, help break big goals into smaller steps, and let their passions lead the way.
5. Resilience Power Moves
Time for two heavy hitters: “Try Three Before Me” approach and the mighty “Hard Thing Rule”. These aren’t just strategies; they’re your secret weapons.
- Try Three Before Me: Ready to be problem-solving pros? Here’s the deal: before asking for help, ask them to come up with three solutions. It’s like a brain workout that makes them even more confident and independent. By working things out on their own, they’re leveling up their critical thinking and creative solution skills.
- Hard Thing Rule: Embrace the “Hard Thing Rule” – before you dive into fun stuff, tackle something challenging. Think of it as a way to power up their inner resilience. When they face challenges head-on, they’re flexing their strength and showing the world what they’re made of.
6. Triumph Tales and Problem-Solving
Stories have the power to inspire, and tales of resilience are no exception. Think of these stories as guiding lights. When we tell them about people who conquered challenges with pure grit, we’re showing that tough times are just part of the journey. Get them involved. Encourage them to find lessons in these stories and use them in their own lives. It’s like discovering hidden gems of strength and courage.
As we empower them through conscious parenting strategies—accountability, embracing wellness, igniting passions, and instilling problem-solving skills—we’re not just nurturing their individual growth, but also fostering a strong parent-child relationship that allows them to flourish and makes us more fulfilled and joyful parents. We’re shaping a generation that bends, but never breaks, preparing them to stand tall in the face of challenges, embodying the strength of willows. Together, let’s pave the way for their triumphs as they rise resiliently in this challenging world.
Nowsheen Yaqoob, Founder & CEO – Auracious Global suggests some enriching reads on Resilience:
- “The Conscious Parent” and “The Awakened Family” by Shefali Tsabary, offering insights into fostering resilience in families.
2. “GRIT” by Angela Duckworth, delving into the power of perseverance and passion for long-term goals.
3. “Building Resilience in Children and Teens” by Kenneth R. Ginsberg, providing practical strategies for nurturing resilience in young minds.
4. “I Always Try” and “Resilience” by Jayneen Sanders, valuable resources for teaching children about determination and bouncing back from challenges.
We hope that you have marked some new learnings from these handy tips. For more such topics related personal & professional development, subscribe to our Newsletter, visit our website www.auraciousglobal.com and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org